Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wednesday, Aug 20, 08

Greetings from ‘A yee tee’!
Yes, no one week is ever the same here!
John’s friend EDH (Electricity of Haiti) hasn’t made it’s appearance in over 2 weeks. Everyone’s a little disgruntled about it, though we now know most of the reason for that is the construction of the road in this area, which is actually going quite speedily, and we keep getting loads upon loads of gravel dumped on our land across from the clinic to build up our soccer field. And the naked and otherwise kids of the nearby neighbourhood continue scrounging around for stones to sell and pieces of wood amongst the loads.
Not having electricity, we’ve been happy for our generator every evening. Do we take electricity for granted? We found out how much we do, and need it this week. Our generator stopped working on Monday. Or rather, I think there was a short or something wrong with the lines. For the last two nights we’ve been without that. It’s amazing how it affects what we do. Want a challenge? Try living without any electricity for two days – no computer after the first two hours of battery, no phone after one day, no car to go visit friends and hopefully get charge, or check internet. After dark, what do you do? Go to bed early; especially if you have no candles or flashlights (thankfully I had some).
So today, P. Henri and S. Gladys arrived home from 1+ week in the States. First thing PH had to do was figure out the electricity, poor guy. Took awhile, and still hasn’t found the real problem, which means he still had to leave some of the places without, including our internet building. But my house has and I’m extremely grateful. I’ve got more than 10 cell phones, etc charging here in my house, besides my things. I feel like I could blow up soon. Ha! The cafeteria doesn’t, much to the disappointment of the kids. They can’t watch movies!!! This is their last week before school starts and they wanted to use every single night for it. On Monday I had decided they needed a break, and wasn’t going to let them watch one (sometimes when bad attitudes start showing you have to make a choice and be the disciplinarian – right, parents?); I didn’t realize how strong you have to be to stand up against all these kids. I persevered and I think they learned something about me. It was time though, and when darkness came, God pitched in and made it a little easier by not giving powerJ. I know in things like this I have S. Gladys’ support.
On the Mamba frontier, this week has had some winning situations again. Praise God! I was so pleased to see Maikel (see two posts back) – he lost 2 kilos in one week!! His extremities’ swelling is almost gone, his belly much less. He still has the protein problem though, which is not from malnutrition; rather vice versa....
Edine was also back today. She gained very well also, despite not coming last week! She still doesn’t like the being spoon fed but Grandma is getting 4 tablespoons of mamba in. Not enough, but at least she’s gaining. She is looking much better. She’s standing up on her own now, holding on to something. That’s huge. Compare her picture with the one before.
Another mom was also very pleased at the progress her child made in this his first week. I love it when they say they never stood up or even tried to stand up before and now, even after just one week, they do. This mom said with a grin, that her friends were telling her not to give the mamba, because it looked too strange, but she did anyway.
Another mom was worried because her little one had gained so much in just 4 weeks of the mamba. “Is that good to gain so much so quickly?” I was quick to reassure her that our goal is to have her baby at a normal weight in 8 weeks. Of course, I wouldn’t encourage any adult to gain a quarter of their weight in 4 weeks, like this little one did!!
My regular morning clinics seem to be picking up more too. On Monday I had the most patients ever, around 27; made a long day for me. Thankfully my nurse was there to help me. I feel so sorry for some of my patients sometimes. I had a 10 yr old girl brought in by her brother (or cousin). She seemed so sick – 104 F here and they said sometimes she was hotter yet. I sent her for both Typhoid and Malaria testing because those symptoms are very similar. So I was surprised when the results came back that she’s got BOTH of those illnesses. No wonder she looked ill!
Another lady 2 months post losing her stillborn baby came with severe abdominal pain, and she comes from around Capiat – the 1 ½ hr hike up the mountains we do sometimes to the springs. She walked it in all her pain. Said when it got too bad she’d lie down on the path.
It’s when I can help people like all these that I thank God for letting me be here and experience this place and this work. I know it’s definitely changing my outlook on life and even on who I am. Thank you for your continued prayer support. In doing so, you’re a part of helping all these people too, because I very much feel like I could not do this except for God. I don’t have the education for it. But God is a great God, and His ways are so much bigger that ours. If He wants to, he can use whomever He wants for whatever He wants. Never forget that (in case you feel nudged to do something you’re scared to do!)
God bless you as you finish reading this. May He grant you an open Spirit to take the next step of faith that is required of you!
Elsie

OK, I was going to post some pictures of Edine but it's not working. Another time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very fine......

Anonymous said...

Hey Elsie:

Sounds like things are going well there despite the lack of power. Sometimes those things help us to be very thankful when we have it eh? I remember what it was like to not have power and have to rely on a generator that broke down more than it worked, or so it seemed.

Sounds like several of the babies are doing well - that is great!

Will continue to pray for you and what is happening there - keep on doing the stuff you do - and God will keep using you!

Am getting together with Enid for lunch tomorrow - we move on Saturday so we wanted to get together one more time before we move. I have to work in the morning and then I really have to work like crazy to get everything packed. Anyway, I'll have a good sleep tonight and will feel recharged tomorrow- take care.
Love, Colleen