Followers

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday, August-15-08
Count your blessings! It’s amazing how grateful I feel for little things, like a breeze. Do you know how precious a breeze is? I’m learning. It’s the most wonderful thing. It’s the difference between comfortable and sweat running down your back. There was one this morning at the clinic and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you wonder why I’m going on and on about it, put yourself in a small 8X8 windowless room and add 5 adults and about 3 crying kids and see how long you can be comfortable in it. OK, so my building isn’t windowless but sometimes it feels like it, it’s so hot and humid. Imagine how you’d feel if suddenly, in the said room, windows magically appeared and a breeze flowed through. You’d stop whatever you were doing and just savour it. That’s what I did several times today. And it reminded me of the breeze I always had there the first couple months I was here, and now I’m waiting for cooler weather. I think September should be cooler already, though they’re saying not. Why is it that I can’t agree with the majority about Septembers? After all it’s my month. Before, in Canada, we usually had some snow in September already, and people never seemed to believe me later. And here, I think it should be cooler already, and they say no. OK, so I won’t claim that until I’ve lived through one here. Still, I hope I’m right.

It’s been another busy week, but they all seem to be that way now. I think the word about our clinic is spreading because it seems more and more people come every week. But at least my nurse is back, and though I still have to supervise her, it does make a big difference.

Want to hear an answer to prayer? Remember Maykel, the baby with the big belly in last post? I had asked the dad to come back Thursday. But “email doctoring” has it’s drawbacks and I hadn’t heard back from the doctors by Thursday, and I hated the idea of dad having to make the 3 hr tap-tap trip for nothing. So I asked God to somehow arrange that he not come. You know what? He didn’t come. It’s kind of amazing when you think about it. Of course, I’m trying not to worry about why he didn’t come, gotta believe God’s taking care of him. I’m hoping he’s doing so much better. He had already lost 0.8 kg in less than a week. That is really good. Hopefully the Mamba will be just what he needs. With his test I did it does look like he has some kidney problems, so please pray for a good recovery. I think, and I’m sure you all agree, that his situation can’t be comfortable.

This week actually started a little different that any other. Before I had even gone down to the clinic on Monday morning, I heard that someone finally managed to break in. They cut some bars on one side of the window, ripped the screen and must have dove in, cause it’s quite high. They took out the hand sink and they took my 5 gallon water container. Those are the only things I can figure are gone, unless I count my little stapler, which to tell you the truth, anyone could have taken. I was SO thankful for what they didn’t take that I haven’t spent a lot of time regretting what they did. Every time I think about it I’m grateful. Although I’m not keeping as much meds there as before, still there was a lot they could have taken, including equipment. Apparently water was their concern! which tells us this isn’t a regular thief. So that night Pastor Joel and a few others spent a few hours making holes in the concrete wall and putting bars through and re-cementing it. Aesthetically not very nice, but security is a bigger concern here. At least I don’t have to haul everything back and forth every day, but am more concerned now. There’s still some high windows, if they get desperate. But God sure does protect us here. It feels very safe, knowing that. And it’s not like I didn’t grow up with people breaking in all the time.

Pastor Henri and Sister Gladys both went to Florida for medical appointments this week so it keeps Pastor Joel pretty busy here. There is a marked difference when they are gone, but thankfully things still run well.

Sister Bonnie left yesterday, and I think the kids learned again what it’s like to be spoiled! She does a great job of loving the kids. I feel a little honoured the way they call me ‘Sister Bonnie’ accidentally all the time now, but I’m not sure how she handles the stress of 20 – 30 kids begging for stuff all the time! I’m realizing I need more patience. They are wonderful kids, but if you have or had some, remember how they were sometimes when they were fussy or unhappy, and multiply that by 10. You so badly want them to know they are loved, but they also need their disciplines sometimes. I find myself being too much of a black-and-white person. But also remember the little hugs, or smiles, and you feel blessed!

I'm letting them watch a lot of movies these evenings. I'm the "movie person" since somebody has to be in charge of the equipment and it's hard to know how often to let them. It's the highlight of their days, and it doesn't matter how often they've seen the same movies. Of course they have their favourites (almost all of those are musicals). School is starting soon and then they're limited to weekends. Their favourites by far are "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Hair Spray, and the High School Musicals. I got a kick out of Cadet tonight - he's the youngest (3). The movie was already going when he met me on the way there, and he pipes up "did you give us a movie?" when I said "wee" he says in his little child voice, all happy "thank you".

Ok this is just a lot of ramblings here, but I wanted to touch base, remind you to continue to pray for the work here. I believe in prayer more than ever, it's almost a part of breathing here sometimes. Not just in needing things, but just the awareness that God exists. It's in the air. I think it's what makes this place special. You're reminded of that when you see people that have nothing but HIM - more than when you see people of plenty. Is it just that in desperate times, we seek Him? Or in seeing people with nothing, you're reminded of a different purpose to life than seeking to be comfortable ourselves? How aware of God are we in the daily things around us? Is He part of our spirit?

May God's presence be on us all the time!

Elsie

No comments: