Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Oh my friends!!
Tonight I am overwhelmed. I don’t know what to think. God chose me to see something today and my stomach is still revolting every time I think about it. I’m debating whether I can even put the pictures up, but it tells the story of how badly Haiti needs help better than I ever could, so I think I’ll post it.


Please friends, if you can, consider sending some money for us to help people that have lost everything.


Today Sister Gladys took me, Mark, and Bobi to the city of Cabaret. This is the city where in my last post I posted the article where the bodies were in the river. The river there just overflowed it’s banks, taking with it whatever in it’s path – ground, houses, people, etc. It created new banks. In some places there’s a big tree and nothing else; before it was in someone’s yard. Now you can’t even see that there use to be houses. Other places you could see a bunch of dried mud heaped into the houses, where the water has now receded. We stopped at a pastor’s church. He showed us how high the water had come IN the church.
Bobi is 5’9” and the water went in through the windows.


While there, someone was yelling in the street and they interpreted “someone found the body of another baby”. I’m like, really? Just like that? We were beside the main road, Highway 1. Sister Gladys told me to go look (you’re the doctor) – they wanted only one of us to go) so they took me back behind a few houses. All the way we’re stepping from stone to stone or block to avoid stepping in mud (not normal mud – mud that you can tell was from receded water) until we came to this somewhat open area among other houses. At first I’m like where? In front of me was an old house, falling apart. On the others side houses that looked slightly better. There was a tree. And then I saw it. I was shocked. A child covered in dirt, bloated, discoloured, stiff.... It reminded me of a big doll, only my stomach revolted because I knew it wasn’t. It was a baby, washed in by the waters and mud, and apparently the dogs had started on her. Lord, have mercy!!! And they said her body was in good shape compared to many others they found. They have found at least 60 there already. I was going to post a picture because it brings the misery and loss to the surface but my blogger's not cooperating. Maybe I'm not supposed to. Will try another time; it really is a strong reality check.

We have been talking about the needs – where, how, to help. So many have lost their houses, so we’re making plans for construction. But after today, we’ve realized that they still have such immediate needs – food! Clothing!
Sister Gladys has already gone through our containers and packed boxes full of clothes, shoes, sheets, etc and sent them down to Cabaret. (from now on if you're going to visit Canaan, we'll have to ask you to bring your own sheets and a towel and if possible leave them here to replace the ones we gave away) There are so many people that lost everything. The pastor we talked to said people haven’t eaten. There was a truck selling or giving water and people were desperate. Other people were taking water out of the river to drink, or washing their clothes in it, and this water is brown. Next thing you know they’ll get sick from it.

So our immediate plans are to make food packets for families – and to tell you the truth, we need money. Canaan just doesn’t have the resources to provide everything!! I will include our wiring information at the end if you can help.

You can also send money to Chris Hlavecek. Make the check out to Canaan Orphanage and mail it to: 4060 Tory Creek Rd, Highlandville, MO 65669. Or, you can log on to http://www.canaanorphanage.com/ and give using a credit card. All donations are tax deductible.

Please let us know if you’re wiring money directly to us in Haiti, so we’ll know right away that it’s there and what it's for. People are hungry TODAY.

How desperate would you have to be to yell at a passing truck in anger, because they’re driving through your town, and not helping you? We saw that with one man. He was so upset at us. MANY others would spread their hands as we’re driving through. Hungry! Help! Hopeless!

So right now we’re focusing on immediate relief and then we’ll focus on the construction/housing needs. Update on those plans coming later.

On behalf of the Haitian people, thank you so much for sharing what you can. We really, really do appreciate it.
God bless you!

Elsie



Wiring info

Bank of America
New York
SWIFT: BOFAUS3N
ABA NO.026009593

FOR CREDIT SOGEBANK
PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI
SWIFT: SOGHHTPP

LES MINISTERES TET KOLE NAN KRIS
0190001990

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elsie,
I am the mother of David Butterfield who spent two months with you at the orphanage this summer. Keep the blogs coming, I check weekly since David left in July and appreciate the updates.
Hopefully we can raise some money to help out after the horrible huricanes.
Lynn Boyer (mother of David)