Followers

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Back at Canaan

So Monday, after a bit of a rough start, I'm back full swing. A 2 hour delay because of engine problems in Miami resulted in not arriving here till after 8 p.m. Then there was no water, which meant no shower and no cleaning a very dirty house - which gets much dirtier here after 3 weeks of no use - after all, it's not empty. There were lots of spiders and lizards still inhabiting inside. Caleb was asleep but it was wonderful to hold him again!

Yesterday was Mamba day, and busy as ever. 53 medical patients (many of them babies) and almost 50 Mamba patients made for a lot of children. In the afternoon it was housecleaning emergency, then later some of us went to visit a 10 day old baby they had sent to the hospital the day before. He is malformed - his genitals and belly button are almost in the same place, which can easily cause urinary infection. Hopefully the surgeon coming next month can fix him.

It's been so good to be with Caleb again. He is such a happy baby - I don't think it is just because I'm back. At first I didn't think he recognized me - he's so interested in all that's going on about him and we were outside. But when I got him to focus, he reached for my face and started almost screeching, like he had so much to tell me. The funny thing was that was his reaction almost every time throughout the day. He didn't do that with others. So needless to say, he's happy.

He had his first fall today. One of the girls was holding him, and standing him on a chair. Not sure if she let go or what but all of a sudden he was tumbling off like a ball. He made a clean summersault onto the tile floor, landing on his back. After a crying spell, he seems OK - didn't seem to injure his back or neck.

We have a team of 8 people here from the World Race group. They go to missions in 11 countries, in 11 months. Sounds exotic but I imagine they have their many challenges. This group is leaving Friday and another group is coming, I believe.

Today we have another group of 12 coming.

Guess what I would ask prayer for this week is just for patience. With so many people coming and going, it's hard to stay in a routine that's established and sometimes even an invasion of personal space. I suppose I should be used to it by now, and it is great to have them come but ... Patience is always needed with a lot of things - patience till the hottest time of the day is over, patience when things aren't done efficiently to our American mentality, patience in getting rid of spiders, .... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture. And when it can't be done, God does miracles. Yesterday our generator wasn't working. When the guy didn't show up to fix it, Pastor Henri told one of the other guys: Let's pray, then go start it. It started perfectly. Praise Him, who knows our needs!

I'm not gonna make this a long one, but want to try and keep more up to date.

God bless you for your interest in the work here and for praying. Thank you!

Elsie

p.s.
I was going to try to upload pictures, but the pictures symbol isn't appearing. Internet's been too slow anyways. If I can later I will.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Elsie......just reading your blog for the first time today. WOW....what amazing and exciting work you are all doing there. No wonder you haven't been able to answer my emails. I am ready to come anytime in Sept and stay until Dec. Susan and Shannon are thinking of coming in October. Would that be a hassle for pickup or accommodations?
(We're the 3 nurses from Leslie's hometown of Vernon) Here's my home email
judydouglas@telus.net
God called me to wait until the fall to come out...and I'm ready!!!